The internet is full of all different kinds of content: text, photos, videos, blog posts, GIFs, articles, emojis, and everything in between. More than a billion people around the world use social media to share these different kinds of content every second of every minute of every day.
So what’s a good way to grab someone’s attention online? Make your content move.
In an earlier blog post, I talked about how social media posts with images receive much more engagement than those without images. This has been true since the early days of Facebook and Twitter. Over the past couple of years, however, social media has been slowly but surely shifting to an even more engaging medium: video.
While images still do perform better than text-only posts on social media, video is proving to be even more effective than static, non-moving images. You can read some more interesting stats on the effectiveness of video marketing here.
If you’ve got an announcement about your company, an informative piece of content you’d like to share, or even a promotion for one of your products or services, find a way to communicate your message via video. There are a number of different free applications and tools you can use to make your content move, so it has a better chance of grabbing your audience’s attention.
Here are a few video apps that I’d recommend to get started:
- Spark, by Adobe
- Create impactful social graphics, web stories and animated videos with Spark’s free graphic design app.
- Clips, by Apple
- A new iOS app for making and sharing fun videos with text, effects, graphics, and more.
- Quik, by GoPro
- With Quik, all it takes is a few taps to create awesome videos. Just choose your favorite photos and video clips from your Gallery, Albums, Google Photos, Facebook, or GoPro Plus. In seconds, it analyzes your footage to find great moments, adds beautiful transitions and effects, and syncs everything to the beat of the music.
- Boomerang, by Instagram
- Boomerang takes a burst of photos and stitches them together into a high-quality mini video that plays forward and backward.
- Adobe Premiere Clip, by Adobe
- Turn the clips you shoot with your Android or iOS device into videos that look and sound incredible. Then share them on your favorite social channels, or sync them to Adobe Creative Cloud to take them further in Premiere Pro CC.
- iMovie, by Apple
- Whether you’re using a Mac or an iOS device, it’s never been easier to make it in the movies. Just choose your clips, then add titles, music, and effects.
Video is the future of social media, so make your content move!